Friday, January 14, 2011

Rosacea Regimen: Philosophy Purity wash and Mario Badescu Control Cream

So if you read my first post, you already know I have rosacea.  For anyone who isn't familiar, rosacea is a disorder of the skin prominent in light-skinned people of Irish-Celtic and Western European origin.  It is characterized by sudden dilation of capillaries along with heat (flushing), redness, and sometimes pustules and papules.  Due to the flushing of the facial skin, the sebaceous glands are stimulated and follicles irritated which causes red papules and pustules on the chin, cheek, and nose areas.  Trigger factors include anything from exercise, hot or spicy foods and beverages, alcohol consumption, skin care products, sun exposure, extreme warms or cold temperatures, to emotional stress.  This sudden flushing of blood to the face triggers a release of a biochemical in the skin called VFG, or Vascular Growth Factor which triggers the growth of new blood vessels, especially in the skin.  This further increases the chance of flushing making this skin disorder self-perpetuating. 


I don't know if it was coincidental timing for me, but my rosacea was triggered after I gave birth to my first child.  It probably had something to do with the extreme levels of hormones after pregnancy.  So I've been struggling with it for nearly 7 years now.  It started out as mild redness on my cheeks.  Then I started getting the bumps below the skin, which make my skin look rough and uneven.  It has evolved into pustules all over my cheeks and around my nostrils.  It's hard to treat, because I feel like I need to wash my face a lot to get rid of the pustules and oiliness.  But then my skin gets dried out, and the sebaceous glands produce even more oil to try to protect my enraged skin.  I have a very oily T zone while my cheeks and nostril areas are dry and flaky.  My face is actually hot to the touch, and the skin has become thick and bumpy.

I tried the pulsed dye laser treatment (PDL), as my dermatologist said this would be the only effective way to get relief from the condition.  This after I tried the usual course of antibiotics, pills, and creams with none of them helping at all.  The PDL treatment cost $1300 to do my entire face.  I was expecting to go in and get one treatment and have it be all better.  But I had to go back every month for the PDL for a little over a year before it was entirely gone.  It was explained to me that the laser cauterizes the small blood vessels under the skin that grew as a result of the VFG release.  The treatment itself was pretty horrible.  I had to wear special goggles, since the laser is so bright.  Since it's a pulse, it does a spot, stops, does a spot, stops, etc.  Every time it pulsed, it felt like someone was snapping me on the face with a rubber band as hard as possible.  It was almost impossible not to flinch while he worked the delicate area just below my eye skin.  The PDL caused bruising and swelling for a couple days afterwards.  It sort of looked like I got the crap beat out of me, which was even more embarrassing than the rosacea.  Finally, the redness was gone, along with most of the pustules.  But 18 months later, it's back and worse than ever.  It's frustrating.  I'm not sure what triggers it, because the list of triggers seems to be just about anything and everything.  I rarely drink alcohol, because that is probably my worst trigger.  That and spicy food and hot beverages.  And when I exercise and start sweating, guess what?  Flare up.

So a friend told me about a product made by Mario Badescu called Control Cream.  It's especially for the treatment of rosacea, and it contains Peru Balsam, which is a soothing botanical ingredient.  Ulta carries the entire line of Mario Badescu products, and I had heard great things about their acne line, so I figured I'd give it a try.

When I went to Ulta, I didn't wear makeup so the skin care lady could see what I'm dealing with.  She asked what I was washing with.  When I told her the orange Neutrogena salicylic acid wash, she about had a heart attack.  She said that stuff is way too drying for rosacea and suggested I try the Philosophy Purity daily cleanser.  It's made with all natural ingredients, plus it's made right here in Phoenix.

The MB Control Cream is $30 for a one ounce jar.  The Philosophy Purity wash is $20 for an 8 ounce bottle.  A little goes a long way with both of these items.

Here is the scary/brave part for me:  pictures of my skin with no makeup on.  I'm doing this to show you the severity of what I'm going through and to also see day by day progress with this skincare regimen.

These two pictures are each cheek before trying the MB and Philosophy products:





Day 1 of using the new products.  Sorry about the different lighting.  You can't really tell a difference.  I've learned to take pictures in the same spot at the same time of day to be able to adequately compare:





Day 2:  slightly less redness and congestion.  I've noticed the pustules aren't as numerous.




It's been about a week now that I've been using the Control Cream:




So far, the results are exceeding my expectations.  To see visible results on only the second day of treatment is great!  I'll keep posting pictures as the days go by.  I'm hopeful that these products are going to work.  I don't expect perfection, but I'll just be happy to have some relief from the embarrassing redness and pustules.

In a future post, I'll discuss my foundation/concealer routine that works best for me for maximum redness coverage.

17 comments:

  1. Hi! I found your blog while googling rosacea and philosophy. I am searching for new products to try for my poor red-mottled skin. My face looks just like yours in your brave pictures. My skin tone is the same - western European pale and I also have hazel eyes and dark brown hair. So, your pictures were like looking into a mirror of sorts and I was so excited to see the changes as you used the two products. I am wondering if the success has held up over time, and what other products you may have had success with.

    Thank you for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks so much for your comment! I don't get many comments, so I really appreciate them when I get them. Yes, the results have absolutely held up. I've been using the Mario Badescu Control Cream religiously twice daily (am/pm) after I wash with the philosophy purity. I still get very mild flare ups, which happen right around that time of the month, so it seems my rosacea is definitely tied to my hormones. My skin isn't perfect--I still have redness that I'm not sure will ever go away. But I finally feel like I have my rosacea under control. About 2 weeks ago, I bought a Clarisonic Mia. I was a little leery, because I had heard negative comments about it from others with rosacea. But I've had no problems at all, and my skin is the best it has ever looked. I use the sensitive brush head. I'm really careful with it on my cheeks where my skin is the most red. The results have been amazing. It has evened out my skin tone a lot, and my skin is much brighter and so much softer. I tried using the Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleansing Gel, but it caused me to flare up and break out, probably from the fruit acids in it. So the folks at MB suggested I try using the Carnation Cleansing Milk to remove makeup and then the Keratoplast Cleanser to fight redness. I want to try those products out to see if I can decrease the redness more. So I'd definitely suggest you try using the MB Control Cream twice daily after cleansing. If you're using the philosophy purity wash and having good results with it, I'd stick with that. Once I try those two MB cleansers, I can let you know how they work. I hope this information has helped you! I know how awful it is dealing with rosacea, and it's next to impossible to find anything that really heals it.

    I also have a page on Facebook that I tend to update more (it's just easier, and I'm lazy!). So if you're on FB, find me here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Average-White-Girl-Beauty/175656432478035

    Also, here is a link to the Mario Badescu site where they posted my testimonial which shows a really good before/after shot 6 weeks out from using the product. I'm the 3rd picture down--Diane from Peoria, Arizona: http://www.mariobadescu.com/SharePhotos.asp

    Good luck, and please stay in touch and let me know how it goes!! Thanks again for leaving your comment. :)
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your brave pictures! I just bought Purity from Ulta today and was googling it with Rosacea. I'm glad to know that it helps...your face looks just like mine. I think I'll try the Control cream too at some point.
    Right now I use Emu oil to moisturize and as weird as it sounds...it's actually wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im glad that it works for you! I have a quick question however, mine seems to leave a thin film on my face even after I shower...does this happen to you as well?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm 20 years old and its been 3 years with rosacea. I've tried every thing that you tried, medicine, laser and I've done peelings. Cost amount if 2500. I gave up and then I ran into this blog. So the next day I went to ulta and purchased his antireddness kit and also the philosophy face wash. I am so glad you put this blog up because I saw instant results. I haven't been this happy in 3 years. I want to thank you for being brave and posting pics ans posting your wonderful results.Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I found your blog when I googled 'rosacea+Philosophy'. Thank you so much for your testimonial. I am trying to find the best skin products to calm down my rosacea and, in spite of leaving in the UK, I am very interested in the Mario Badescu products. However, I can't find the control cream you refer on your posts on their website. Do you know if it has a different name now? Would you still recommend it? Thank you once again for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! Have you continued to use purity? How are your results? I am having a difficult time finding MB control cream, even online. Is there another product you'd recommend?
    Thanks Megan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing such an informative and useful post. we also offer most effective Rosacea Treatment in Abu Dhabi, where we provide best services of laser Skin treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those with redness and/or rosacea: Dermalmd Rosacea Serum is definitely worth a try. At the time that I began using dermalmd rosacea serum, I realized another cream had been causing my skin reaction and so my redness subsided naturally. That said, I'm glad I have this serum on my shelf and I use it several times a week to calm my skin. I have used it around my eye area without problems.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I just stumbled across your blog.. I've always had extremely sensitive and acne-prone skin but was doing very good for a very long time. Just recently (about a week ago) I laid out in the sun a few days in a row and had a horrible "breakout" of redness and under the skin bumps. It looks SO similar to the first picture you put up and I'm thinking it's rosacea. I noticed that the link to the mario badescu control cream isn't working and it's not on their site either. Could you link me to the product? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you were part of their lawsuit
    People got addicted to the mb control cream and when they stopped using it they had steroid withdrawals

    How is your skin now?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fashion marketing is undergoing a quiet revolution at the moment. Traditionally new fashion designers had to compete with the major corporate labels through magazine advertising, direct mail, events promotions and if the budget is there, television ad campaigns. The Internet has for a long time been a useful tool for introducing sales leads to your clothing range, but until recently, budget dictated your site's popularity on the net. Sensitive eyelash glue

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great deal of scar removal and minimizing treatments have been tried over the years. Some methods offer some change in the prominence of a scar, but not every treatment offers results for each individual. In general, scar removal can be categorized by non-invasive and invasive treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes I feel like I have information overload. Thank you for sending me only the materials I needed about this topic. I am grateful not to have to spend time sorting through stuff that isn't needed.
    Rosacea Treatment in Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for providing information. it's very useful. We at Rosacea facial near me offering best pigmentation removal.

    ReplyDelete