Friday, January 14, 2011

Beauty Rhetoric

This is my first post.  Of my first blog.  I have so many other things on my plate right now.  Why do I want to do a blog?  Well, my first rule is that I'm not going to stress about doing the blog, because then it becomes a task, and tasks make me procrastinate and become complicated.  So I'll do this when I feel like it.  I'm going to stick to beauty as the main topic.  I like wearing makeup.  I like experimenting with colors and products.  I'm just an average white girl living the dream.  I watch a lot of makeup tutorial videos on YouTube.  Most of the girls who do these  have lots of practice and experience, because they're trained, professional cosmetologists.  I am not a professional cosmetologist.  But I think I do a pretty decent job at my makeup.  So I want to show you from an average white girl perspective how to do different types of eyes, lips, etc. based on what I learn from these videos.  In other words, I'll show you how easy...or hard....great....or horrible makeup can look when done by an everyday person.  I'm going to break down the beauty rhetoric.


The "white girl" thing is not racist, so stop.  I am an average white girl.  My ancestry is primarily from Celtic origins.  Thus, my skin is very fair.  Actually, I have severe rosacea.  It's so bad that if I go out without makeup, people look at me like they're wondering what happened to my face.  It's really embarrassing, and I hate it.  I tried the $1000+ laser treatment, but that only provided relief for about 18 months.  I'm willing to try anything to get it better, so I'll discuss regimens on what I've tried so you don't have to waste money on stuff that doesn't work. 


Anyhow, back to average white girl.  So yeah, I'm a white girl.  And I think I'm pretty average.  I live a middle class, suburban, white girl life.  I go to Target.  I eat baby carrots.  I watch Tosh.0.  I have two awesome kids and a great husband.  I'm a stay-at-home mom.  I bake cookies.  I do laundry.  I clean toilets.  I vacuum a lot.  I scoop kitty litter.  I take the trash out every Sunday night.  Pretty average.


I like to experiment with my hair.  I've been doing this since the 6th grade when Mr. Scherer, my 6th grade home room teacher, challenged me to cut my hair that had grown down to the middle of my back.  He said he'd buy me a can of Coke.  I was a nothing back then.  Okay, so I was the smartest girl in my class every year.  And the tallest.  But aside from that, I was nothing.  Nobody knew who I was.  Nobody cared who I was.  Something about that day when Mr. Scherer challenged me to cut my hair lit something within me.  It was a reason to change myself and be who I wanted to be, not so much the person that society wanted me to be.  So I cut it short.  I remember people in class staring at me, because they couldn't believe I had done it.  He gave me that can of Coke.  In 1984, short hair on girls was strange and different.  I started associating myself with the whole new-wave music scene.  I started wearing strange clothes (by Indiana standards).  I realized people began to notice me.  I began to be made fun of.  A lot.  But who cares, because people knew who I was.  I was something other than tallest and smartest.  I was weirdest.  And I liked it.


I also like making my own jewelry and hair accessories.  I like making stuff for my friends to wear.  So you may see some of that on here as well.  One of these days, I'll sell my own jewelry on Etsy.  But one thing at a time.


So this is my little intro for my blog.  I'm technically challenged, so I don't know how to make it look pretty or create my own banner or anything like that.  I think it looks okay the way it is for now.  


My first few posts will be about a beauty regimen I'm doing right now for my rosacea.  I have a before picture of my skin, then I'll post pics of my skin daily as it responds to the products.  No makeup or anything.  I'm brave.  I'm average.  I'm hitting the publish button with some mild trepidation.  Here we go.

2 comments: